Pharmacy Technician Salary: Pharmacy technicians made a mean average annual salary of $32,170 which is $15.47 dollars per hour in 2016 according to the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics). The median wage is defined as the wage at which half of the laborers in an occupation earned more than that wage amount and half earned less. The lower ten percent of workers earned around $21,370 at an hourly wage of $10.27 dollars per hour. In addition, the top ten percent earned an estimated $45,710 annually which is an hourly rate of $21.98 dollars per hour. Some of the top paying states for a pharmacy technician are Washington, California, Alaska, and Hawaii. Washington has the highest annual mean average salary of $42,170 at an hourly rate of $20.28 dollars per hour. For employment levels for this occupation, California is the highest with an estimated 34,870 employed pharmacy technicians with an average annual salary of $39,760.
How Much Does a Pharmacy Tech Make by State?
Pharmacy Tech Salary with Annual and Hourly Rates
|State||Pharmacy Tech Hourly Rate||Pharmacy Tech Annual Salary|
|District of Columbia||$17.32||$36,020|
Source: bls.gov, mean average salary data as of May 2016 | For more detailed information, try Payscale.com
What Does a Pharmacy Tech Do?
The pharmacy technician works under direct supervision of the Supervising or duty pharmacist(s) and Lead Technician, according to established departmental and organizational procedures greets patients, including phone contacts, and operates the cash register as its primary function. Order receipt, check-in and restocking are priority tasks. Other assigned functions include: Ordering OTC and Rx stock, filing, and may assist the pharmacist in aspects of prescription preparation, documentation, distribution and other record keeping. This person assists with inventory management and quality control procedures. Position reports to supervising pharmacist any information which will assist the pharmacist in the proper assessment and preparation of patient’s medication orders including pharmaceutical care and related activities. The identification and prevention of FWA (Fraud, Waste, and Abuse) are organizational responsibilities of all employees. The person in this position works under general supervision. This position is responsible for various shifts and may be subject to over 40 hours per week and callback as required.
What Does a Pharmacy Tech Do Summary
- Accurately records transactions in Cash Register including: Cash, ROA, Charge and Credit Sales
- Customer Service including Rx and OTC Sales
- Verifying Correct Rx and other orders provided to patients
- Maintain adequate change and other necessary supplies including register tape, forms, bags, etc.
- Preparation and sign out of deliveries and mailed packages, including Remote Sites
- Ensures customers are waited on in timely fashion and do not feel ignored
- Check status of waiting orders and assure no customer is overlooked or has unnecessarily long wait
- Assists customers with OTC purchases and other needs and identifies circumstances which require pharmacist assistance.
- Answering phone promptly and courteously
- Take customer calls, refill authorizations and when necessary communicate requests to pharmacist or otherwise assist with phone requests
- Receives, checks-in, stocks shelves and orders necessary product. Also, being careful to identify special order items and short date items
- Maintains a clean and orderly work environment including OTC area, being sure to review date status of the OTC area at least quarterly
- Order and/or restock sales area as necessary and on regular basis with attention to assure adequate stock is available.
- Discuss need for new items as requested by customer
- Filing the following: Rx hard Copies, Delivery Receipts, customer signature logs, customer information sheets
- General cleaning, organization of work area (includes OTC area), restocking of supplies and emptying of HIPPA containers.
- Assists other department members as need and/or time arise and/or permit
- Assists management with FWA compliance and maintains an understanding of these functions and required reporting standards
- Accomplishes the assigned responsibilities in a self-directed manner without the need for management intervention
- Provides information and feed-back to pharmacists and pharmacy management as needed to maintain proper patient care.
- Maintains good teamwork and cooperation
- Maintains safety conscious procedures and practices
- Performs assigned functions and responsibilities in cost/time efficient manner
- Punctuality, Time utilization, Personal interruptions
- Performs other duties as assigned to support the essential functions of the job and operational needs of the department.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the tasks listed on the essential functions/competencies list as prescribed by the department.
Pharmacy Tech Education and Qualifications
- High School/ GED required
- Registered as a Pharmacy Technician
- Retail pharmacy or other clerk experience/training is desirable
- Preferably 2 years Community Pharmacy Experience or ability to demonstrate job proficiency to satisfaction of Pharmacy management.
- Operations of cash register and other related clerk operations are key components of this position therefore experience in these areas is desirable.
- Phone etiquette and intake functions are a key component of this position and experience in or demonstration of skills in these areas is critical.
- Receipt, check-in and stocking of received orders are key functions of this position and experience in these areas is desirable.
Most states are starting to require a certification to work as a pharmacy technician. The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is one of the main organizations that offer this certification. Having a pharmacy technician may not be required in all states or facilities but should be required as a prerequisite in the near future.
Did you find our how much does a pharmacy technician make page helpful? Then check out HospitalJobsInc’s related career pages listed below.
Related Pharmacy Technician Pages:
How Much Does a Registered Nurse (RN) Make?
How Much Does a Nurse Practitioner (NP) Make?
How Much Does a CNA Make?
How Much Does a Medical Assistant Make?
How Much Does a Physician Assistant (PA) Make?
How Much Does a Physical Therapist (PT) Make?
How Much Does a Phlebotomist Make?
How Much Does an Ultrasound Technician Make?